Wednesday 1 May 2013

I'm back in the driving seat today and feeling calm again. I have just purchased some digestive enzymes and spirulina and am about to buy some krill oil, glucosamine and chondroitin, MSM and turmeric with piperine supplements. I have never been a big fan of supplements, mainly because I was rubbish at remembering to take them and they would just end up out of date. But now I am all grown up and have to take my homeopathic Serocytols twice a day, I'm sure I can remember more supplements (although I have already forgotten to take the digestive enzyme...just getting it now. Ok, we're good) If I do forget, generally pain jogs the memory sufficiently well. It's just then finding someone to bring you the stuff, because you've just found the right position to sit in to avoid the pain and don't want to set it all off again.

My eggs trial has failed - I had a flare up after two days of eating them. I'm not too disappointed, although I did have visions of making some AIP baked goodies one day. I'm sure there are some scrumptious baking recipes without eggs out there, although I'm not torturing myself by looking. 'No food fun' is still my motto at the moment.

I am hoping to reintroduce cooked tomatoes next week. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this one. Before I started the AI protocol diet, I had tomatoes at virtually every meal. We had tomatoes in tagines, curries, bolognese sauce, lasagne-free lasagne, chicken casserole, with fish, vegetable stew and well, just about everything. It was a real heart breaker to omit them from my diet. It changed our entire meal plans. It was hard, but it really challenged us get creative about how we were eating. Avoiding tomatoes has been a good way to eliminate chilli and peppers. And finding out that standard beef was causing flares meant there was no point in trying to recreate 'fajita' style lettuce wraps or any other ground beef sauce that normally required tomatoes. It was time to put the Mexicans to bed and move on!

A little round up of most of what is definitely off my menu for good:

  • Eggs
  • Regular beef ( I haven't tried grass-fed, as I haven't gotten round to finding here in France)
  • Grains
  • Legumes
  • Raw tomatoes
  • Artichokes
  • Raw/Undercooked cabbage
  • Raw onions (make my mouth taste like sh*t, so probably a good indicator that I shouldn't be eating them anyway!)
  • Soy products
  • Potatoes
  • Deep fried food
If it's not on my list and it is a nightshade or any other AIP food, it means I haven't tried reintroducing it yet and I live in hope that I won't have a flare up when I do (please God, let me be able to tolerate chilli - don't leave me hanging). Until then, the rest of the food are all 'maybes' and I live in hope :)





3 comments:

  1. Is the HS getting better with the diet?Is it healing? How is your skin looking?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jai-Jo!

      My HS is definitely connected to my diet. When I eat a strict autoimmune protocol diet, my flares are kept to a minimum. My skin no longer becomes inflamed like it used to, and if I slip up a little (but only a little) my flares are not as aggressive i.e I can still walk, stand, sit with minimum pain.

      For me, there has been no remission as yet, but the improvement is so vast that it is motivation enough to keep on trying. That's not to say i don't fall off the wagon, but it is a blessing really because it is only then that I realise that sticking to the diet really does work.

      My skin is less inflamed. The spots I have still leak, but not as much. Not one has completely healed as yet. However, I have been on holiday and off the diet, so I'm back to some big flares and am on Day 1 again! Stick with the diet - it is totally worth it.

      Delete
  2. New Diet Taps into Pioneering Plan to Help Dieters Get Rid Of 12-23 Pounds within Only 21 Days!

    ReplyDelete