Tuesday 30 April 2013

I have no idea where to start with this post. Do I start with the fact I'm having a new flare, despite 'clean' eating? Do I say that I'm glad my mini-meltdown from yesterday is over? Do I explain that despite thinking I was ready to reintroduce old foods, I may have to eliminate new ones?? Maybe that last one is a good place to start. It was the cause of the mini meltdown anyway and I need to start thinking of solutions, not dwelling on things I have no control over.

So here it is. I think that I am reacting to FODMAPs. Many IBS sufferers will be familiar with this acronym. Straight from Wiki:
FODMAPs are short chain carbohydrates and monosaccharides which are poorly absorbed in the small intestine, including fructansgalactansfructose and polyols. The term is an acronym, deriving from "FermentableOligo-Di-Mono-saccharides and Polyols"
I had a little flare after eating cabbage and then a huge flare yesterday after eating a whole globe artichoke the night before. Yummy fresh, wholesome artichoke. Now added to my 'can't have' list.  Great.

On this occasion, there was nothing else that could have caused this flare other than the offending green ball. When I thought cabbage may have caused a flare,  I asked for some advice on the Facebook page The HS Diet Connection and I was told to consider FODMAPS. Now, I had heard of them before, but any elimination diet is overwhelming enough and when I started the AI protocol and looked at FODMAPs I just ignored the latter and focused on the AI diet. I was a bit overwhelmed as it was and I think that trying to cut out FODMAPs would've tipped me over the edge.

I have been doing the AI diet since February and although it's been hard, I don't feel as daunted by a new regime as I did back when I started. I think I am ready to make a change. From today I will spend a ridiculous amount of time (that I'll never get back) researching various internet resources on FODMAPs and familiarising myself with new recipes in order to fully embrace this new food lifestyle.

I did a basic search and found this beautiful table, produced by Aglaée the Paleo Dietitian, which stopped me spinning off the deep end and gave me a good place to start. Her site is stacked with info about all the variations on the paleo diet and has been a great place for me to start with this new look at foods. The following picture is used with her permission.



There are a few things that I am confident that I am ok eating. Well cooked onions, garlic, sweet potato and sauerkraut have all been my good friends over the past few months and I think I can tolerate them fairly well. However, this might be the completely subjective view of a person in denial. We'll see. For the purpose of staying sane and still being able to eat more than just chicken and carrots, I am reintroducing some of the old foods that are ok on the FODMAP chart. Starting with eggs. 

So, today has been a new 'Day 1' for me. I feel a bit lost again and a bit sick of it all. Just when I thought it was safe to leave Google alone for a while, I have to start at the very beginning of a new way of eating. Life could be worse I suppose. There could be no Google at all and then I'd be moaning about that.

And to get through it all, once again, I am playing the 'glad' game, remembering to be grateful for all the amazing stuff I have - although right now, I'd probably trade it all in for some Lindt 85% dark chocolate!


4 comments:

  1. Just looked over the chart and I see some issues with this. Nightshades are bad for HS, tomatoes, potatoes, bad. I don't understand why this on the good side. Nightshades are triggers for most with HS. I just had a flareup from raw tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Claudia. I completely agree with you. This chart is made for IBS sufferers and is lifted straight from Aglaée's website. It is just the list for FODMAP foods and does not encompass the restrictions of an Autoimmune Protocol diet. Sorry if I wasn't clear. I am using it to check out what else could trigger me, as well as nightshades, grains, legumes, seeds etc. It seems I am ok with garlic and onions, but barely cooked cabbage and cooked globe artichoke have given me flares.

      Last time I tried raw tomatoes they gave me stomach cramps, so I won't eat them again. I'm going to reintroduce cooked ones next week. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

      Delete
  2. Having Problems FOLLOWING with your Paleo Diet?

    Want to eat some tasty recipes TONIGHT?

    Get your awesome Paleohacks Cookbook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm 57 years old and female. I was diagnosed a couple of years ago with COPD and I was beyond scared! My lung function test indicated 49% capacity. After having had the flu a year ago, the shortness of breath, coughing and chest pains continued even after being treated with antibiotics. I've been smoking two packs a day for 36 years. Being born without a sternum caused my ribs to be curled in just one inch away from my spine, resulting in underdeveloped lungs. At age 34 I had surgery and it was fixed. Unfortunately my smoking just caused more damage to my already under developed lungs. The problem was that I enjoy smoking and don't want to give up! Have tried twice before and nearly went crazy and don't want to go through that again. I saw the fear in my husband and children's eyes when I told them about my condition then they started to find a solution on their own to help my condition.I am an 57 now who was diagnosed with COPD emphysema which I know was from my years of smoking. I started smoking in school when smoking was socially acceptable. I remember when smoking was permitted in hospitals. It was not known then how dangerous cigarettes were for us, and it seemed everybody smoked but i was able to get rid of my COPD lung condition through the help of  Dr James  total cure herbal medicine. my husband saw his testimony on the internet. He used his powerful medicine to cure different diseases. we contacted his email   [drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com}   He has the right herbal formula to help you get rid and repair any lung conditions and other diseases, will cure you totally and permanently with his natural organic herbs,We received the medicine through courier delivery service. I wish anybody who starts smoking at a young age would realize what will eventually happen to their bodies if they continue that vile habit throughout their life.
    Dr Akhighe also cured diseases like, HERPES, DIABETES, HIV/AIDS, COPD, CANCER,ASTHMA,STROKE,LUPUS,JOINT PAIN,CHRONIC DISEASES,PARKINSON DISEASES,TUBERCULOSIS,HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE,BREAST INFECTION,WOMEN SEXUAL PROBLEM, GINGIVITIS, ERYSIPELAS,STAPHYLOCOCCUS,HEPATITIS A/B, QUICK EJACULATION, IMMUNOTHERAPY, GONORRHEA,SYPHILIS,WAST/BACK PAIN,PELVIC INFLAMMATORY, DICK ENLARGEMENT,HEART DISEASES,TERMINAL ILLNESS,SHIFT IN FOCUS,ATAXIA,COMMON COLD,CROHN'S DISEASES,ALCOHOL SPECTRUM DISORDER,GRAVES DISEASE,HEARING LOSS, INTERSTITIAL CYSTITIS,LEUKEMIA,MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS,OBESITY,RABIES,SCOLIOSIS,INFLUENZA, POLIO,JACOB,ETC. If you are out there looking for your cure please  contact Dr James  by his email  Drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com/whatsapp number   +2348152855846

    ReplyDelete