Monday 15 April 2013

I have never been what I class a 'sporty' person. As far back as I can remember, I admired those with a lean physique. No 'bulging hips' or pot belly, the ability to run and run for ever, to push themselves no matter what. Even when I was a kid, I quit ballet at age 5. My reason was that I thought I couldn't point my toes properly. Everybody else's feet looked beautifully arched, whilst my flat-footed 'point' just didn't look the same. I never told my Mum why I didn't want to go anymore and later in life, she told me the ballet teacher was sad to see me go, because I had been one of the best in the class! I guess like most things in life, being 'sporty' is all about perception.

Since then I've been a rower, I've attended boxing training, I've been a gym member and even took a GCSE in PE. I still never truly felt sporty. Then in 2007, I started running. It was a revelation to start running at my own pace and find that I could run and run for many miles, so long as I kept a reasonable pace. Later, when I worked in a prison, we would work out and run up to 4 days a week in our lunch hour - perfect! No need to get up super early, nor go to the gym after work. Plus, it was a good break from our desks in the middle of the day. I kept it up until I was 24 weeks pregnant (not all of it, just the occasional run by the end) and since then, my activity levels have plummeted!

Today I am feeling good pain for the first time in an age. Not the usual soreness of open wounds or swollen skin, but good, healthy, 'it hurts to get on and off the toilet' kind of pain! My legs ache, as does my torso and I am physically worn out. And it feels great!

I ran a fairly short distance - about 4 km/2.6 miles - but it feels great to have finally got out there again. My average time was about as quick as it used to be when I was fit - I was pretty shocked. However, it's not because I am miraculously athletic after such a long time out of the saddle, it's just because I'm carrying an average of about 34 pounds/15.4 kgs less than before. I shouldn't be surprised by this basic science, but I am easily awed by so many things in life! My HS didn't flare up, nor did it cause me any pain during the run. The area was a little more swollen in the evening, but no more than when I have been walking a lot.

Anyway, one swallow doesn't a summer make; so, I need to stop being so happy about doing one run and get motivated to start doing more and more to tone up this newly thin body!

No comments:

Post a Comment